Customer Awareness: What do if a Boil Water Notice is issued
1/10/2018. Filed under Press Release .
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Customer Awareness: What to do if a Boil Water Notice is issued.
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio, - With extreme cold returning to the area, The Northwestern Water and Sewer District (The District) wants remind customers of what do to in case a boil notice is issued due to a water leak.
In certain cases, The District may issue a boil notice following a leak caused by pipes bursting due to cold weather. If a boil notice is issued, you will be notified with hand-delivered door tags. In case of a widespread boil notice, notification may be given through social media, television and radio.
What should you do?
- Do not consume your water without boiling it first.
- Use boiled or bottled water for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, and food preparation until further notice.
- Sanitize containers used to store water.
- Bring water to a vigorous, rolling boil and then boil for two minutes and don’t forget to cool the water before consuming it.
- Instead of boiling, you may purchase bottled water or obtain water from some other suitable source, such as The WaterShed.
CLICK FOR COMPLETE FACT SHEET ABOUT WHAT TO DO DURING A BOIL ADVISORY
According to District Assistant Superintendent, Simon Gundy, “Sometimes, the chances of water contamination are remote, but we don’t want to take any chances with your family’s health. In most cases, issuing a Boil Water Notice is a precautionary measure for the safety of our customers.”
Since December 2017, The District has repaired 8 water leaks due to cold weather. Only 1 boil notice has been issued due to cold weather water leaks.